The flash experiments and flash assignment were, excuse the pun, “illuminating.” The technique of bouncing the strobe off of the cieling, a wall, posterboard, etc. was really interesting and created neat diffusions of light. It was simple to create side lighting and Rembrandt lighting in a controlled environment; the windowlight portrait assignment got me thinking about light sources, and this assignment introduced the element of control.

I had some difficulty matching the flash exposure with that of the camera, resulting in a lot of over and under exposed images. I did attempt a few times to make the background one stop darker than the foreground as we discussed in class by adjusting the flash exposure controls. The experimenting and flash assignment taught me that I greatly appreciate natural lighting of the setting!!

The light painting was really interesting; I had my subject, Amanda, use a number of different lights that we found. A glow-in-the-dark ring with a pulsating light inside produced some interesting effects that were similar to a flickering candle flame. The ring did something unexpected: the light registered on “film” about 3 inches lower than where Amanda physically held it. I don’t know the reason for this, i can only guess that the light changed hues so quickly that the beams were most constant and registered fully as they were projected out from the ring rather than at the location of the ring itself. In the example photo of this, Amanda first held the ring on her chin so the light could register on the camera, and then i took a flash photo of her once she’d removed her hands and the ring from inside the frame. The light is obviously below her chin.

Advertisements